Tuesday 1 April 2014

movement.

If you know anything about me, you know I love to travel.
I was bitten by the travel bug at an early age. My family was always blessed in our ability to travel, but the trips that really took hold of my feet and made me antsy when in one place too long were our visits dear friends who were living in the Dominican Republic when I was only in high school. These were the first trips that seized me and made me see outside myself. I'll never forget the excitement of learning all that was new.
My family at our friends' home in the Dominican Republic. The company was even better than the view.
The first trip I took without parental guidance was at the age of 16 to Northern Ireland on missions with my church. And, wow, if travelling is a disease I once had a sniffle and now had caught a full on flu that could only be cured with new sights, sounds, people, and ideas. I got it bad.
So bad, that the following year a friend of mine and I returned to Northern Ireland and continued backpacking through The Republic of Ireland, Scotland, and London (we really didn't see much of England, just London). It was incredible.

Two years later I returned to Europe to see the mainland. I visited: Germany, Prague (Czech Republic), Austria, Ljubjana (Slovenia), Zagreb (Croatia), Italy, Corfu (Greece), the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, Monaco, and Switzerland. It was a whirlwind of sounds, tastes, sights, and people. Perhaps I'll dig into this more, later.
Paris, France. (But if you didn't know that, we can't be friends).
Two years later, again, I got the itch to pick up and go. This time to see Asia. I stayed in Japan, sadly, just long enough to eat the most spectacular sushi at Tsukiji fish market – the world's largest. Following the Japanese stopover I went to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia. Again, this is a topic for another post.

Now is a great time for you to be wondering what the topic of this post is if it isn't to talk about some of these adventures. These adventures are my resume.

This is what I want your take-away message to be.

Travel.
Travel as often as your soul needs to be happy.
I know we are bound by our chequebook, watch, and contact list.
Sometimes I believe travel is like having children, in that there may never be a "right time" but that you have to make a "right time". And I want to urge you to do that. Maybe not now, but soon.
I'm not saying every person's trip should be across time zones and language barriers.
Sometimes the trip you need is a weekend away or a long walk.

I believe in the power of movement.
Travel is what propels us into uncomfortable situations where we learn to laugh at ourselves. It's what forces us to open our eyes and marvel at creation. It's what pushes us to find empathy because we too have required it. It's a way to meet new people, and with new people brings new perspective and knowledge.
Travel is what makes us love, value, and miss home and the people who live there. It's what teaches us languages, even if they aren't spoken. Most importantly travel makes us examine. Examine ourselves and our role in this world – what do we want it to be? Examine others and their customs and cultures – how do they compare to our own? Why are ours the way they are? Is it important they remain that way? And, does that make us any different as human beings?

Travel changes the soul.

Sometimes you need to travel around the block and observe neighbours in need, and humbly remember when you too were in need. Other times you may take a trip to the park, and upon catching sunset over the lake remember how beautiful our Earth is and how small we are. And, occasionally, you need to travel somewhere where you will mistakenly translate something to be laughed at by locals and remember you should never take yourself too seriously.

Go and do.
Tell me your stories after.
Carleigh

5 comments:

  1. Love this Car! So many memories looking at the first pic. Love you and can't wait to read on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about those trips made me so nostalgic. We had so much fun!

      Delete
  2. Definitely, travel changes our soul. Sometimes it is hard to put in word how grand you become after an adventure and it's priceless things that you see, learn and experience out of it. I like that quote, which says: travel is the only thing you can buy, that makes you richer. Indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote, too!
      I should probably reference people wiser than me, here. It's what makes a good paper, so it couldn't hurt a blog :)
      Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  3. "I believe in the power of movement." This. Yes.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I love to hear from people like you! Actually, I'm not sure that I will like what you have to say, but I appreciate that you are going to say it! Keep in mind I won't be responding to rude or distasteful comments. Otherwise, lets be friends and continue the debate!