Thursday 17 April 2014

think bigger.

Now that we're a few blog entries in, and I've hopefully convinced you that what I have to say is worthwhile, well thought out, and at least somewhat meaningful, we're going to get to some meat and potatoes in this entry. (For some reason this seemed important for me to establish before we got to a heavier entry). 
For some readers, this might be a demanding entry. 
The topic has been weighing on my mind for some time, and, like a pesky mosquito when you're in bed at night, it's buzzing has become too much for me to ignore. 

Without further introduction:

What you think doesn't matter.

Sometimes.

Our freedom of speech is often paramounted as the greatest liberty we're allowed in this life.
But remember that little thing we talked about regarding the responsibility that comes with the superpower located in our vocal cords? Oh yeah, we're going back to that, but this time bigger.

Example A: Abortion
I don't believe in the act of abortion. I wouldn't have an abortion. I believe that life begins in the womb (although I haven't developed an opinion as to exactly when). I believe that I'm not alone in this, as I've seen the World Trade Center memorial that recognizes "unborn child" along with deceased mother. I believe a lot of what this young girl, who has taken social media by storm with her anti-abortion speech, has to say. I believe there are traumatic emotional and physical complications that come with having an abortion.

It doesn't matter what I believe.

Because even so, abortion should be legal. Yes, it goes against my personal beliefs – they don't matter.

Why?
Because banning abortion doesn't stop abortion, it just makes abortion more unsafe. In fact, in places where abortion is legal the abortion rates are the lowest.
Because when my beliefs about abortion are asserted it results in laws, laws that have 50,000 women dying from unsafe abortions each year and countless complications with fertility and other injuries (read more here).
Because having a baby is expensive, and there is only so much assistance available.
Because, although I don't believe in killing fetuses, I don't believe the remedy is to allow unsafe abortions to kill women.

For these reasons, although I don't support abortion, I am pro-choice.

What I believe doesn't matter when it causes deaths.

Example B: Plagiarism
This year in one of my advanced English (EAL) classes, I was teaching the students (who come from all corners of the globe) about plagiarism. Many of the students were going to continue at the same university with regular classes at the conclusion of the course. Knowing there are different standards for and regarding plagiarism in different countries I wanted to ensure that the topic was covered thoroughly and with the importance it required (and perhaps took this too seriously, as it became my legacy with these students).
We looked beyond the course materials and textbook and began to examine other sources of plagiarism. We talked about Andy Warhol's famous Marylin Monroe, which is screen printed from a photograph taken by Gene Korman. We examined Yann Martel's "The Life of Pi" which could be argued is directly plagiarised from Moacyr Scliar's "Max and the Cats". We had heated debates about what could be considered as plagiarism.
We reviewed different universities' policies regarding if a student is accused of and convicted of plagiarism.

The conclusion? It doesn't matter if you believe it's plagiarism or not (within the university setting).
A professor doesn't require proof of plagiarism to have you expelled from a class (and sometimes the university). Just the idea that something may be plagiarised is enough.
For this reason I encourage citing sources if you are ever in doubt of an idea originally belonging to you.

It doesn't matter if you think it is plagiarism. It matters if the professor thinks it's plagiarism.

Example C: Homosexuality
I want to begin by linking this article, because if I didn't I believe I'd be plagiarising – as the article is the root of this entry. (Ok, even though I planned the sequence, I do love this transition).
If you are a Christian that believes homosexuality is wrong/sinful, as I once did, I urge you to read the article.

I've grown up with a Christian upbringing with traditional beliefs. I attended a Christian high school. I grew up in the Church. Although I don't really want to focus on religion within this blog (at least not at this point) I think this sets a bit of context when we explore this topic with my voice as the guide.

For a lot of my life I have been told homosexuality is a sinful choice. I've been told by teachers that it is a result of parents and relatives molesting children, thereby creating sexual deviants. Every time there is a theological debate regarding homosexuality and the church (ex:  Duck Dynasty Comments and more recently the World Vision controversy) my Facebook homepage is literally flooded with articles either "celebrating the victory over sin" or "challenging theological background of these beliefs".
Where you stand in this equilibrium isn't my concern today. I want to tell you that regardless of what you believe on the topic it doesn't matter.

Why?
Because kids have it hard in today's society, and if you're a gay kid you have it even harder. So much so that teenagers who are gay are three times more likely to commit suicide.
Because although the Bible has been translated to call homosexuality an abomination (along with eating shellfish and mixing your fabrics), it most clearly states that we should love each other.
Because people are still people. Remember, although it's very easy to type something, there are people reading those powerful words. There are people struggling every day with their sexuality.
Because I'm tired of being associated with a religion that is so closely tied with hatred of people.
Because I've read this and this. I've also watched this.

Because kids are killing themselves. And I don't feel strongly enough about anything that would make me support something that is causing people to kill themselves.


What you think doesn't matter. Sometimes.

It doesn't matter when it causes deaths, or suicide attempts, or unsafe surgeries.
It doesn't matter when it calls your integrity into question, or hurts someone, or is done in the name of "freedom of speech".

It doesn't matter what you think if you can't think bigger.
Think bigger than "I".
Think beyond "me".
If you can't think bigger then you also perpetuate hatred, naivety, and ultimately deaths.
If you can't think bigger, then I'm not sure I want to know what you think.

Damn, that's a lot of responsibility that comes with our celebrated freedom of speech, hey?

Wouldn't it be easier to be a rock?
Carleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I love to hear from people like you! Actually, I'm not sure that I will like what you have to say, but I appreciate that you are going to say it! Keep in mind I won't be responding to rude or distasteful comments. Otherwise, lets be friends and continue the debate!